by Musa Fortin
The summer is in full force right now, our first full round of summer program came and went, out race team is currently on its way to the BC summer games, and we are having beautiful weather and great wind for an exciting sail. We had to cancel our July Board meeting because we did not meet quorum, so here are a few updates for membership:
Programs have run without a hiccup. Big red’s engine was having problems early in July, so it was sent in to Inlet Marine. Currently of our boats are working. The need for dredging has become even more apparent, especially with some of the recent low tides, as it is narrower and harder to get through than ever. In addition to our summer programs, our summer Adult program is starting up on Saturday July 23rd, running from 1-5 every Saturday, and I started a weekday adult program running on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-8 which began on the 18th, and will be running until August 10th.
Summer Race-team began on July 10th. The formerly scheduled training camp in Surrey for last weekend had to be cancelled, but will be rescheduled sometime later in the summer. Currently they are headed to Prince George to compete for their respective zones in the BC Summer Games.
- Weekly Thursday night racing
- An instructor will be available to help, set up courses, and run races as of 5:00 pm
- Monthly Board meeting at the OMBH
- Third Tuesday of every month
- Next one is scheduled for August 16 at 7:30 pm
Upcoming events for membership:
- Spinnaker Crash Course: August 2nd
- Intended to provide introductory on how to sail spinnaker on a 420.
- Belcarra sail: August 12th starting at 4:30
- Long group sail with the goal of reaching deep cove and back. There will be a safety boat or two with an instructor to ensure safety, and to tow if that becomes needed.
- End of Summer BBQ social: August 27th
- This will be the last of our summer adult class. We are inviting membership to go out sailing, there will be some races run for all to participate in, followed with a barbeque at around 5:00 pm. Feel free to show up for the sailing, the barbeque, or both.
I hope to see you all out on Thursday nights, our upcoming Board Meeting, or any of the upcoming events that interest you.